Dr. Saad Saad has removed many different things from the windpipes and esophagus of children. In fact, in his career, he has helped over 1,000 children. He has even kept a collection of some of the items that he’s removed, and some of the oddest items he has removed would have to be a toothbrush, which is also the largest, and a tooth which would be the smallest as well.
In order to improve the design of the endoscope, he’s developed an invention that sucks the liquid away from the lens so the doctor using it can see better when it’s inside the body of the patient.
Dr. Saad Saad has over 40 years of experience, and he has some advice to parents and caretakers to follow in order to prevent a trip to the emergency room or to have to go through a scary situation.
Dr. Saad suggests not to feed a child under the age of two hot dogs and to avoid letting a child under the age of seven eat peanuts. Hot dogs tend to get stuck in the small windpipe and esophagus of little children and peanuts do not only get stuck, but they expand when they get moistened from the fluids inside the body. Coins are another common item that children tend to swallow, so it is best to keep them out of reach. Learn more about Dr. Saad Saad: https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-saad-saad-ys6d8 and https://www.md.com/doctor/saad-saad-md
If your child is choking and under the age of six you can hold them upside down and tap them on the back until the object becomes loose. If they are over the age of six, you can stand behind the child and wrap your arms around their waist as you thrust with your hands in the abdomen below the rib cage. This should jar the object loose, but if it doesn’t, you will need to run your child to the emergency room.
Batteries are another choking hazard and are very dangerous to a child because once they are swallowed, they will be able to leak and can cause very serious burns to the esophagus and stomach. You may not expect a child to swallow a battery or many of the other items that Dr. Saad has removed but children are curious, and you need to make sure that small items remain out of reach There is nothing scarier than having your child choke on something and feeling helpless to remove it.